(from The Orchards of Concklin website)
The Orchards of Concklin have put a stamp on the Pomona region. Pomona is named after the goddess of fruit in honor of Nicholas Concklin the founder of the farm.
The Conklin’s first came to America in 1637 from Nottingham England. John and Anias Concklin were members of the first Presbyterian Church in Salem, Mass. The family migrated to Rhode Island, then across to Long Island. The Concklin’s lived in the Farmingdale region and finally moved to Westchester County.
Nicholas Concklin sailed across the Hudson to Haverstraw and walked inland to the Pomona region in 1711. There he bought 400 acres of the Kakiat patent Lot No. 1. (The Great Kakiat Patent reached from the Palisades on the east to the Ramapo Mountains on the west, and south to the Jersey border.)
The family owned and farmed the land continuously through the American Revolution, the Civil War, and the first metropolitan pressures of the early 20th Century.
Christopher St. Lawrence Obliterates Another Link to our Heritage
This photo was taken a few months ago on the site that has now been scraped bare to prepare for a massive parking lot for a baseball park that has little or no chance of succeeding economically. The site was one of the original Concklin farm properties.
Looking North with Pomona Road in the bottom right corner. (Photo courtesy of Lee Ross www.SkyViewPictures.com).
Looking South with Firemen’s Memorial Drive in the left side and the parking lot of the Fire Training Center in the bottom right corner. The paved section at the middle bottom of the photo was clear-cut illegally earlier this year by the Supervisor and his business partners. (Photo courtesy of Lee Ross www.SkyViewPictures.com).
Much of what was once Ramapo will not survive the tenure of the most anti-environmental Supervisor this town has seen—Christopher St. Lawrence.
If you would like to be added to our email list and receive updates on the articles posted on the site, send your email address to email@example.com